How to join Merchant Navy?
- Here’s How To Join Merchant Navy
- What is the eligibility and procedure to be recruited in Merchant Navy?
- Know the job profile and their salary package in Merchant Navy
How to join Merchant Navy?
Apart from the high salary, the opportunity to travel around the world and the allure of adventure in the seas attracts youth to join the merchant navy. Merchant Navy differs from Navy in the sense that it provides commercial service unlike Navy, whereas Navy is associated with the security of a country. The merchant navy is the foundation of a worldwide exchange, which carries freight everywhere around the world.
Starting from one nation on merchant ships, a large number of workers are employed to carry and distribute goods to another country. Without the merchant navy, a major part of the import-export business could be lost. A job in the merchant navy is seen as a great job. It provides an opportunity to travel to new and exotic destinations across the globe. But also remember that it not only gives travel opportunities to professionals but also a huge responsibility on their shoulders.
Eligibility For Merchant Navy)
- Class 12 pass with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- The candidate should be an unmarried Indian citizen (male or female).
- Normal vision is required but glasses up to plus or minus 2.5 may be allowed.
- The entrance is followed by a screening test and a main written examination.
- After clearing the test there is interview and medical test.
- One also has to complete a ship training course before getting a job. These courses are generally of short duration where the candidates are taught about the basic security of travel.
Merchant Navy – Job Prospects
There are immense employment opportunities in this field. Candidates who have completed the required course in Merchant Navy can get jobs through various consultants and placement agencies. The Merchant Navy fleet includes cargo ships, container ships, tankers, bulk carriers, refrigerator ships, passenger ships, as well as roll-off/roll on ships. Cargo ships are more likely to get jobs than other ships. Organizations operating merchant ships largely require trained individuals who can operate and maintain ships well.
Some of these organizations are: Chevron and Mobil of USA, Volem Ship Management of Hong Kong, Denholm of UK, K Line, Bibby Ship Management, D’Amico etc. It also has transportation organizations in India, for example, Shipping Corporation of India, Great Eastern Shipping, Essar and Chowgule Shipping. Prepared persons are required for the three principal departments that comprise the ship: deck, engine and service departments. In India, job opportunities are also available in government and private transportation organizations like Shipping Corporation of India, Clearing House, Dell Credier Operators etc.
Top 5 Merchant Navy Jobs Profile (Top 5 Job Profiles In Merchant Navy)
- Deck Officer (Navigation Officer)
- Electro-Technical Officer (ETO)
- Rating- Ratings are skilled sailors who help all officers in their daily work.
- Catering and hospitality crew (purseers, steward, chef, house keeper, etc.)
Merchant Navy – Pay Package (Salary In Merchant Navy)
In merchant navy, payment can be made between Rs 12000 to Rs 8 lakh every month. However, it may also vary according to the organization, city and post. A Junior Engineer can earn up to 30 thousand rupees per month with free boarding and stay. As you get promoted, your salary increases significantly. A Chief Engineer can earn up to Rs 1.5 lakh and above per month.
It takes around 6-7 years for a Junior Engineer Officer to be promoted to the rank of Chief Engineer. With free boarding and cabin, the salary of a third officer is up to Rs 50,000 per month. The salary package of a Captain ranges up to 2 lakhs or more every month. It takes about 8 years for a third officer to reach the rank of Captain.